Aspiring Directors Programme
Open to all public and third sector aspiring directors in Wales
April 2020 to September 2021
16 days over 16 months
In a public service landscape marked by ever-increasing volatility and uncertainty, organisations need skilled leaders more than ever. The Aspiring Directors Programme will respond to this need by linking the acquisition and creation of new knowledge and the development of new behaviours to individuals, teams and organisations.
Leaders stand at a critical crossroads in their organisations. As strategies and priorities change more frequently, and as organisations become flatter and more dispersed, leaders become the connective glue that makes strategy work. They are key to facilitating high levels of communication, collaboration, and coordination across levels, across functions and across public services. Simultaneously, they must figure out how to detect and respond to forces reshaping their sector, and then convey their insights and findings to help shape strategy. And, they have to do all of this while developing what’s often a significant portion of their workforce.
Benefits to you
- Further develop your own leadership capability and foster the leadership potential of others
- Improve your self-awareness and increase your confidence, impact, effectiveness and credibility to make a difference in your organisation and prepare for the challenges and demands of director roles
- Build a powerful national support network of influential leaders
- Be challenged to make the connection between theory and applying this knowledge into pragmatic, practical and useful action
- Be provided with learning that adds value and helps you create success in your role, with your team and for your organisation
This learning programme will help you to develop your leadership behaviours in the following areas:
Learning and self-awareness
Drive and resilience
Focusing on citizens and quality
Championing innovation and change
Building collaboration and partnership
Political awareness and skill
Open to all public and third sector aspiring directors in Wales:
- Employed in the public service or the third sector in Wales
- Reporting directly to someone in a Director level role or the equivalent for your organisation
- Aspiring to be in a Director level role within the next two years.
- Currently leading a middle management team or an area of work, providing strategic direction with some guidance from your line manager
|Introduction to the programme||22 April 2020|
|Summer School||22 to 26 June 2020|
|Time to Think Learning Set||15 July 2020|
|Master class 1||23 September 2020|
|Leadership Embodiment||18 to 19 November 2020|
|Time to Think Learning Set||19 January 2021|
|Master class 2 / Change Challenge||18 March 2021|
|Public Service Delivery Impact||5 May 2021|
|Personal Impact||6 to 7 July 2021|
|Lighthouse||7 September 2021|
Please note that all courses are free, unless otherwise stated.
How to apply
Please note that you’ll need to include a written endorsement from your line manager/executive sponsor as part of your application.
Apply for a place (please log in to apply) – closing date 27 January 2020
To find more details about the programme, please see our detailed information.