Developing senior executive coaches - ILM 7
Experienced senior managers and leaders who are permanently employed within the public and voluntary sectors in Wales
November 2021 to June 2022
Applications are now closed
The ILM Level 7 Certificate in Executive Coaching and Mentoring programme is aimed at senior leaders, managers, HR and learning professionals.
It is designed to give you the knowledge, skills, behaviours and confidence to be an effective coach and mentor as part of your leadership role. Designed in partnership with University of South Wales Commercial Services Ltd (USWCS) (external link) the programme engages coaches working at an executive/senior strategic level.
One Welsh Public Service
As One Welsh Public Service, we have a shared purpose and shared drivers to achieve a better and lasting quality of life for us all.
Find out more about our campaign here
Your learning outcomes delivered through completion of your assessments will give you:
- An understanding of the principles and practice of effective coaching at an executive or senior level
- You will practice and undertake effective coaching or mentoring at an executive or senior level
- Reflection on your ability to perform effectively as a coach or mentor at an executive or senior level.
This programme will stretch and challenge you, equipping you with invaluable skills that can be used not only across your organisation but across Wales too.
There are a wide range of benefits to completing the ILM 7 qualification and joining our executive level coaching network.
The aim of the qualification is to provide learners with the required knowledge, skills and understanding to coach or mentor executive or senior level colleagues.
This programme will increase and broaden the resource of senior level coaches willing to work across boundaries within the wider public service, providing opportunities for networking and collaborative working.
Benefits for you
- Develop your skills, understanding and confidence as a 1:1 executive coach within your organisation and across Wales
- Enhance your continuous professional development with opportunities for you to participate in fully funded professional training
- Join an elite group of senior level public service coaches
- Understand the strategic purposes of coaching and mentoring at an executive or senior level
- Analyse the knowledge, skills, behaviours and practices necessary for effective coaching or mentoring at an executive or senior level
- Plan, deliver and review own effective coaching or mentoring at an executive or senior level
- Learn why reflective learning is important for own professional practice
- Be able to plan own future professional development activities as a coach or mentor operating at an executive or senior level
Benefits for your organisation
- No cost professional training for in-house executive coaches
- Access to a group of senior level coaches who will be able to reciprocate offer and benefit from cross-sector senior level coaching
- Increases collaborative working with partner organisations
- Implementing coaching in complex working environments or at an executive or senior level within organisations
- Ensure the coaches and mentors with whom you work are properly equipped with the skills, knowledge and understanding they need
- Create a coaching or mentoring culture in which senior managers and leaders demonstrate their commitment to supporting their own and others’ development and performance improvement
"I have found being able to support people through coaching massively rewarding. I have had very positive feedback from coachees who say that our sessions have really helped them in working towards their goals - and that is the true signal of success for the scheme."
"I'd heartily recommend the ILM7 executive coaching and mentoring training. It offers the chance to develop professional-level skills along with gaining a recognised qualification."
"I found the course extremely rewarding and following successful completion I am equipped with new techniques, strategies and the tools required for coaching executives.
Since qualifying I have found executives to be a unique group of coachees. They very often present a controlled image which may hide doubts and vulnerabilities.
Each time I hear an executive say for example that they have had a ‘lightbulb moment’ I feel reassured the training I have received via the ILM has been effective. This has increased my confidence in my ability to coach and mentor executives."
This learning programme will help you to develop your leadership behaviours in the following areas:
Learning and self-awareness
Drive and resilience
Championing innovation and change
Building collaboration and partnership
Senior managers and leaders who are permanently employed in a public service organisation or registered charity operating in Wales.
This development programme is aimed at experienced senior leaders and managers with an interest in executive coaching. The programme is designed to provide you with the knowledge, skills and confidence to be an effective executive level coach and mentor as part of your leadership role and to enable you to provide executive coaching for top tiers of leadership across the public service.
We encourage applications from underrepresented, minoritised and disadvantaged groups where employing organisations have limited funds, especially in the third and voluntary sectors.
Cohort 1 dates
Session 1 - 24/11/2021 13:30-17:30
Session 2 - 15/12/2021 13:30-17:30
Session 3 - 12/01/2022 13:30-17:30
Assignment 1 - 31/01/2022
Session 4 - 02/02/2022 13:30-17:30
Session 5 - 16/02/2022 13:30-17:30
Session 6 - 16/03/2022 13:30-17:30
Session 7 - 06/04/2022 13:30-17:30
Session 8 - 11/05/2022 13:30-17:30
Observations - May 2022 (3 dates)
Assignment 2 - 30/05/2022
Assignment 3 - 13/06/2022
Cohort 2 dates
Session 1 - 01/12/2021 09:00-13:00
Session 2 - 21/12/2021 13:30-17:30
Session 3 - 19/01/2022 13:30-17:30
Assignment 1 - 07/02/2022
Session 4 - 09/02/2022 13:30-17:30
Session 5 - 03/03/2022 13:30-17:30
Session 6 - 23/03/2022 13:30-17:30
Session 7 - 13/04/2022 13:30-17:30
Session 8 - 18/05/2022 13:30-17:30
Observations - May 2022 (3 dates)
Assignment 2 - 06/06/2022
Assignment 3 - 20/06/2022
You will need to confirm you can attend and commit to all of the dates for your cohort.
Cost and bursary information
A full bursary is being offered by Academi Wales, so there will be no delegate charges for this programme.
Applicants will be required to seek prior authority from their line manager/sponsor as part of the application process and the commitment to be made to Welsh public service coaching. Academi Wales will not meet the cost of any travel and subsistence associated with attending any face to face elements of the course (if applicable) or any associated coaching practice.
If you are awarded a place and later decide to withdraw from the programme, Academi Wales reserves the right to charge your organisation for the full standard fee of the programme which is £1,995 (0% VAT).
How to apply
Applications are now closed.
Commitment to coaching
It is essential that your sponsor organisation agrees to support you throughout the programme and make a longer term commitment to public service coaching in Wales. This qualification is at Masters Level and will require a great deal of commitment from yourself and your organisation.
Once you are fully qualified you will commit to join the All Wales Coaching Network.
ILM qualification requirements
ILM requires the following:
- Attendance and active engagement in the 8 workshops
- A mandatory 60-minute ILM and Go Learn induction
- Coach or mentor a minimum of 2 and a maximum of 3 executive/senior level individuals for a total of 20 hours
- Be observed coaching or mentoring at least once and obtain written feedback. This will be provided by USWCS.
- Take part in either individual or group supervision for at least 4 hours and produce a written summary of the outcomes
- Submit and pass the 3 assignments
The programme will be delivered virtually using the USWCS Virtual Learning Environment, Go Learn and specifically Blackboard Collaborate Ultra. This is a Blackboard system and is universally used. However, you will need to check with your IT department that there are no firewalls that will prevent access.
The system works best on Google Chrome. It will also work on the latest version of MS Edge or Safari if you use a Mac. However, some functionality may be lost with these browsers.
- Featured resources
Find related learning resources
- Contact us
Coaching and Mentoring
Follow us on Twitter @AcademiWales #OneWelshPublicService