Who we are
Academi Wales - Great Leadership through Learning
Academi Wales is the centre for excellence in leadership and management for public services in Wales. Established in September 2012, Academi Wales is part of the portfolio of the Welsh Government Minister for Finance and Local Government.
Following the success of our last campaign, Leading by Choice, we have introduced our new campaign – One Welsh Public Service.
We seek to build a future for Wales where leadership of our public services is visionary, collaborative, cutting edge and successful in driving improvement in the lives of people living in Wales. We approach our work from a number of learning philosophies including the ideas that we must ‘lead to learn’ and never stop learning to do our jobs, regardless of age or seniority.
We believe that leaders who make the time to adopt a positive approach to their own learning are happier, live their values, understand their personal purpose and achieve greater personal and professional success.
Knowing we need leaders who are optimistic in the face of change and brutally realistic about the scale and bravery needed for success, it is these values in action that make the real difference. We have adopted the Welsh Public Service Values of Working for the Long Term, Always Growing and Improving, Working Together, Treating Everyone with Respect and Putting Citizens First into all our working practices.
Guided by our Advisory Board and the Minister for Finance and Local Government, we operate in the space between national priorities and local need. We set the standards for leadership inside the public sector and enable people to work with these to deliver services that really make a difference. We continue to help harness the talent of leaders across a wide range of professional areas and disciplines and are proud to work across all sectors in Wales.
Working for us
What we offer
Academi Wales is a small, supportive and highly focussed team, delivering excellence in learning opportunities and experiences for public services in Wales, but also for members of its own team. Many of these are unique to the Team, with some of the key highlights of working as part of the Team being shared below:
- The opportunity to engage with a wide range of external stakeholders across the public and third sector & pan-Wales, often at senior level. Engaging around a positive agenda - ‘Great Leadership through Learning’
- Promoting the ‘One Welsh Public Service’ through our work – focussing on joined-up thinking and collaborative working. This benefits the impact of individual and team work
- Working within a relatively small and flexible team, with the opportunity to work on a range of areas of work
- Autonomy to take the lead on pieces of work (with key support in place)
- Integrated communications and digital team offering the opportunity to work on key set-piece, high-profile events
- Integrated business unit, providing the opportunity to work on a wide range of corporate functions (finance, procurement, governance), and gaining understanding of many of the Welsh Government’s corporate processes
- Working with professions across the public sector – engaging with and benefitting from their enthusiasm and commitment to changing / supporting / improving the lives of Welsh citizens
- The opportunity to actively engage in work which focusses on securing positive changes and improvements for Equality, Diversity and Inclusion
- The opportunity to work in a unique environment within the Welsh Government, supporting the personal and professional development agenda across the public sector
- Opportunities to be engaged with and learn from and through the learning events Academi Wales put on (sit in or partake in events such as our conferences, masterclasses etc.)
- Annual Report
Find out more about us by reading the Academi Wales Annual Report.
We’re always keen to hear from our partners, stakeholders and customers. For advice, or a discussion on what Academi Wales can deliver, please get in touch.
Academi Wales Annual Report 2020-21
Academi Wales Annual Report 2019-20
Academi Wales Annual Report 2018-19
Academi Wales Annual Report 2017-18
Academi Wales Annual Report 2016-17
Academi Wales Annual Report 2015-16
Academi Wales Annual Report 2014-15
Academi Wales Annual Report 2013-14
- Advisory Board
The Academi Wales Advisory Board has been established to bring together relevant people willing to use their expertise and experience to advise on the key leadership challenges and opportunities in Wales. Membership is drawn from across the sectors within the public services in Wales and the private sector.
The Board champions the work of Academi Wales, provides intelligence on key issues, highlights sectoral priorities and uses evaluation as evidence for debate, amongst other duties.
Academi Wales Advisory Board - Terms of Reference